Recommended posts from the LibraryCity site itself:
- Jim Duncan, Colorado Library Consortium executive director, speaks out in LibraryCity series on public libraries and the Digital Public Library of America.
- If we can buy Alaska, can’t we purchase OverDrive for a national digital library system? Reflections from a visit to the National Archives.
- The K-12 and economic cases for a national digital library endowment, the newest version of the endowment proposal. Earlier ones appeared here and here.
Other writings from us:
- We need a National Digital-Library Endowment, by Jim Duncan and David Rothman, in Education Week, May 12, 2015.
- Endow a national digital library, by Jim Duncan and David Rothman, in Library Journal, Oct. 9, 2014. A shorter version of LibraryCity’s proposal for a national digital library endowment.
- The Rich Could Tackle Many Social Ills by Supporting a National Digital Library Endowment, by David Rothman, in the Chronicle of Philanthropy, June 4, 2014.
- Books and billionaires, by David Rothman, in the Baltimore Sun, Feb. 1, 2014. An earlier version of the above.
- Infrastructure Watch: Warren Buffett as the Next Carnegie, by David Rothman, at TheAtlantic.com, Feb. 19, 2013. Also about the endowment proposal.
- Digital libraries are the future: Nation needs a common framework for lending e-books to the public, by David Rothman, in the Baltimore Sun, March 12, 2012. Note: LibraryCity supports the right of local libraries to acquire books not within the national system. But a national approach could significantly lower costs.
- How to make Rockford an e-book leader, by David Rothman, in the Rockford (Illinois) Register Star, Jan. 28, 2012. A related blog post is here.
- A Point-Counterpoint on the Digital Public Library of America, by David Rothman and the DPLA’s John Palfrey, on the Library Journal Web site, May 23, 2011.
- It’s time for a National Digital Library System. But it can’t serve only elites, by David Rothman, in The Chronicle of Higher Education, Feb. 24, 2011.
- How e-Books Could Smarten Up Kids and Stretch Library Dollars: A National Plan, by David Rothman, in The Huffington Post, Oct. 22, 2009.
- Why We Can't Afford Not to Create a Well-Stocked National Digital Library System, by David Rothman, in TheAtlantic.com, Nov. 5, 2010.
- A national information stimulus plan: How iPad-style tablets could help educate millions and trim bureaucracy–not just be techno toys for the D.C. elite, by David Rothman, in TheAtlantic.com, June 22, 2010.
- Real Books on the Internet, by David Rothman, in the Washington Post, Aug. 21, 1996.
From others—who may or may not agree with the above:
- A Digital Library Race and Playing Catch-Up, by Natasha Singer, in the New York Times, Jan. 8, 2011.
- A Digital Library Better Than Google’s, by Harvard Library Director and DPLA participant Robert Darnton, in the Times, March 23, 2011 (online March 24).
- The Voices of Librarians and the DPLA, by Robert Darnton in Library Journal, March 22, 2011.
- Can We Create a National Digital Library?, by Prof. Darnton in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 28, 2010.
- Other essays by Prof. Darnton in The New York Review of Books.
- Google, Robert Darnton, and the Digital Republic of Letters, by University of Michigan Librarian and Dean of Libraries Paul Courant in his blog, Feb. 4, 2009.
- Robert Darnton interviewed by the Chronicle of Higher Education, Oct. 6, 2010.
- The Hathi Trust IS Our National Digital Library, by Roy Tennant, in Library Journal, Nov 19, 2010.
- Berkman Center Announces Digital Public Library Planning Initiative, a news release from Dec. 13, 2010.
- Media mentions of the Berkman initiative.
- Berkman links to other writings on the digital library issue.